Redding Air Show report

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 16:10:08 PDT

This event was almost too big, if thats possible. Blue Angels, huge crowds,
heat, noise and yet it was fantastic.

I was treated very well by all. Had lunch with a couple of the Blue Angels
at a free commissary just for us, set up by the air show as a thank you.
There must have been 70,000 people there in two days... it was huge!

One former Australian Army soldier happened by and was totally shocked to see
a Ferret on display. He said he drove them for years, so I invited him to
climb in and get a few pics taken. This was his first time in a Ferret in
over 25 years... needless to say, we both really enjoyed the moment.

The next day, early in the morning I had another unusual encounter. This
time with a father and his 9 year old son. The father was 12 when he watched
Ferrets open up on an IRA sniper and literally blast the front off a building
during the short, but extremely violent gunfight. A few months later his
family had enough and they moved to America. This was the first time he had
seen a Ferret outside Belfast and it brought back a lot of memories. He
really appreciated seeing it and it also inspired a little philosophical talk
with his son about what he went thru.

Anyway......I talked myself hoarse explaining the display, the MVPA, etc. to
folks. You should know, everyone agreed that we're doing a really good thing
to preserve these old green things. I really think we're building a base of
interested, appreciative fans when we do these events. So I encourage anyone
with a mil-veh to get out there and show it, have some fun and help our club
in the process.

Keep em rollin....tired, sunburned and exhausted in Northern Calif.

Jack