Re: [MV] M151A2 Carburetor Problem

From: Brandon Kunicki (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 11:34:33 PDT

Are you sure that the bleed line from the carburetor
inlet is hooked up (and not plugged or missing)?

There is an orifice inside through which fuel is
vented back to the fuel tank. This vent line bleeds
fuel back to the tank so that the excess fuel flow can
carry heat away to prevent vapor lock.

If this line is missing or plugged, your M151 will
have fuel pressure to the carb even with the engine
off. Fuel pressure should bleed immediately upon
engine shutdown through the bleed line back into the
tank. Without this bleed system functioning, you will
also have excessive fuel pressure to the carburetor.
Oh, did I mention you could get vapor lock as well?

The fuel supply line comes from the right side of the
vehicle and across the front of the engine, into the
filter, than into the carburetor. Immediately adjacent
to this area, another line (the bleed line) travels
from the carburetor towards the firewall.

Another sad story......the M151 carburetor filter
stinks! My M151 would run for 5 minutes, then die
unexpectedly. After sitting for a while it would start
and run fine for another 5 minutes....

The fuel filter was clogged with particles which would
block the flow while running. After the pressure would
bleed down (through the dirt), the dirt would fall off
the filter internally and open up a passage again. All
would be well until the fuel flow caused the particles
to clog the filter again. I replaced the filter with a
new one twice with the same results. I drained the
(bad) fuel out of the tank and put a higher capacity
filter in the line that was made from clear plastic so
I could tell when it was dirty.

End of problem!

Brandon