Scout car squirrel hunt

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 00:39:06 PDT

Hi list,
First, let me say, Thank GOD for eBay or I would actually have to work to
support my MV habit. If all the payments arrive in a timely fashion I
should be back on track with the Scout project very soon.

Anything to do with brakes (inside the drums) and bearings and hubs and
drums is next because when I put those back on, that's the last time I want
to look at them for a long time. After that, both Scouts go to the frame
shop. The Greek Scout goes too as it is an example for the frame guy to
take measurements from.

Cleaning up all the little brake parts at the wire wheel would have been
completely B O R I N G except that the wire wheel occasionally tore
something from my grasp and fired it out the other side at the speed of
light. Luckily I was outside when I was doing this, so aside from wounding
a curious squirrel perched nearby, there was no real damage. He looked
rather startled just before his eyes crossed and he fell backward off the
fence, clutching his little chest, into the neighbor's yard. The neighbor's
mutt finished him off and I got precious my part back.

Ran out of the proper primer for prepping some of the little brake parts for
paint (springs and such) so I resorted to using the Rustoleum stuff. Hey,
it works. I'll call RAPCO and get some more when the money starts rolling
in again. Yes, yes I know that most of those parts were never painted in
the first place so it ain't 110% authentic (OH, I feel SOooooo guilty about
it) but some of those little parts are gonna be REAL hard to replace 50
years from now and the next fellow will be darned glad I was so persnickety
about preserving them against rust with a coat of primer and paint because
he won't HAVE to replace them. Besides, I won't tell if you won't.

Now I do most of my work outside, either under cover of the sandblasting
tent or the carport addition to my garage. Garages are much too useful for
storing other stuff to be used for such a mundane task as guarding a vehicle
against the elements....hence, the carport addition. Of course, when the
garage gets full, the carport gets used for storage too!....you know the
drill. One of the items stored under my carport is an early or pre-WWII US
army wooden bunkbed. It has the wire mattress support mesh attached to the
bed frame by means of springs. A year or so ago, I hung it from the rafters
of the carport with rope so it would be out of the way. So, when the
cleaning and painting of lots of little Scout Car parts REALLY got underway,
guess what provided the perfect place to hang things from....uh-huh....the
bunkbed's wire mesh. I must have had 50 pieces, freshly painted, hanging
off of that today. The place looked like a Scout Car slaughterhouse.
Really cool. These little things are truly the measure of our success when
deep into a restoration. I can't wait to start putting things back
together!

As always, Keep em Rolling !!
TJ