Re: [MV] Re(2): [MV] Morris Minor

From: Michael Stallwood (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 18:39:42 PDT

Got the wrong end of the dipstick here Bob. We are talking of late
forties/fifties cars in relation to the Morris Minor. Obviously your
parents deprived you of nourishing reading material in your youth or you
would have your three original Vanderveens on the shelf above your bed along
with Teddy and your Enid Blytons, Just William and Arthur Ransomes. (that
will have the Americans puzzled). I often think of the three Vanderveens as
New Testament, Old Testament and the aptly named Revelations. A Glance in
Post 1945 Revelations will see that Vanderveen specifies the fastback Chevy
as 1949 and mentions its compatriot, the bustle-back 'Styline Special' -
they must have had a whole department just dreaming up the names. I have
never known Bart Vanderveen to be wrong and once had that special glow when
at a show long before Beltring he picked out my Austin Champ prototype as 'a
very rare vehicle'. The nearest you have to Vanderveen is Crismon Wheeled
and Tracked - both essential bedtime reading. Unfortunately the original
Vanderveens are long out of print and change hands at exhorbitant prices.
You can still buy Bart's Historic Military Vehicles Directory which is a
sort of compendium of all three of his original books but to mind it's like
one of those watered down bibles that the modern church tries to foist on
us. I prefer the originals.

Mike S. UK.