HMMWV 6.2l head gaskets

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 12:47:46 PDT

I brought my HMMWV's rear diff in to the local Hummer dealer today to
have it repaired. While I was there, I talked to the service manager.
He told me that in the service, the HMMWVs were seldom driven on the
freeway, and were usually moved around by flatbed. After a decade of
that, plus lack of service, the head bolts would stretch, and once us
civilians get our hands on them and start driving them on the freeway
(and thus getting the engine good and hot) the head would start to
warp, causing cracks and/or blown head gaskets. His advice was to
re-torque the head bolts before driving surplus HMMWVs. That advice
came too late to help me, but maybe some of y'all can avoid an
expensive repair with a little bit of effort up front!

The local Hummer dealer, Huntington Beach Hummer, is the nearest
Hummer shop to the Riverside Auto Auction, so they've seen quite a few
of the HMMWVs which were auctioned off last year. I saw a couple in
their shop today.

I wonder if that would also be good advice for CUCV owners?

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/