Re: [MV] HMMWV 6.2l head gaskets

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 03:05:56 PDT

Boy I hate to say it but it sounds like BS to me. If you want to get an
engine "good and hot" run it around in the woods for a few hours with mud
and god knows what crammed in the radiaitor. Not to mention I do not think
that GM or the military includes retorquing the head bolts ( I may be
wrong ) in any PM schedule.I own a CUCV with the 6.2 and alot of other
diesel military vehicles and have had them on the freeway with quite a few
years of good service. This is not a flame rather than an opinion just like
the shop manager whom I'm sure does not have a mechanical engineering degree
any more than I have.

I would hate to go out , pull the valve covers off, and find that the heads
did require retorquing. I wouls probably go nuts and broke buying new
gaskets to retorque all the bolts on my "never was on the freeway" MV.

Once again, not intended to be a flame.
Regards
Emmett