Alternator/Generator Needed

From: MikeMabry1@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 16:16:07 PDT

Dear List,
    It seems that antifreeze and 24v alternators do not mix. I have just let
the smoke out of mine so I am in great need of another. Could someone please
recommend a place to quickly get an alternator/generator that will not leave
me reaching for a 2nd mortgage?
    The alternator/generator is from a 1970 M35A2 with an LDT-465-D engine.
The dataplate is pretty scuffed up but it definitely reads 28v, 60amps. Do I
need to provide more information?
    Also, is there anything special about the silicone looking insulation goo
that was covering (but evidently, not completely) the wiring connections? Is
this something I can pick up at Home Depot or my local NAPA? Many thanks to
all responses!
Mike Mabry
Kennesaw, GA
1970 M35A2 (which recently gave up smoking)