Re: [MV] Alternator/Generator Needed

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 17:30:01 PDT

MikeMabry1@aol.com wrote:
> The alternator/generator is from a 1970 M35A2 with an LDT-465-D
> engine. The dataplate is pretty scuffed up but it definitely reads
> 28v, 60amps.

I think I saw an ad for 24V alternators in the back of Military
Vehicles Magazine. It was a small 1/8-page or so ad with a line
drawing of an alternator, as I recall. I could look it up and scan it
if you don't already subscribe. I think I determined that the 60A
alternator in my 1972 deuce is identical to the 60A alternator in my
hangar-mate's 1985 HMMWV, so I'd hazard a guess that it's a common
alternator used in many military trucks, and won't be too hard to find
(I'm sure somebody will post a response if I'm mistaken). Let me know
if you don't have a parts manual, and need me to dig up an NSN for the
right alternator.

If you need to adjust the output voltage of your new alternator, note
that the adjustment screw is at 28V potential, and is accessed through
a small hole in the grounded case. Make SURE that you wrap a few
layers of electrical tape around your screwdriver unless you want to
let the magic smoke out of your new alternator, too! Luckily, I didn't
learn that lesson the hard way. :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/