Looking for Paint Tips

From: Tony Castagno (tcastagno@careerstream.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 05:03:29 PDT

Hello List,

Going to paint my HMMWV this weekend if the weather holds out and I finish
my prep work.... I am looking for some tips of the trade from all you paint
gurus out there, I have painted a couple of trailers and an M38A1 but my
results were not as professional as I would like the HMMWV to turn out.
1) I will be using my compressor with a water seperator on it, and 3
seperate spray guns. Any recommended output pressure?
2) Any advice on ratios of paint to thinner... I'm using Gillespie Nato 3
color and Xylene as the thinner
3) Advice on masking guages lenses, tires etc....
4) I will be shooting 383 on the entire vehicle then doing the cammo from
the cammoflauging Tech Bulletin. Any tips on getting the pattern right?
5) Many places on the vehicle are horizontal surfaces, are there any
problems with holding the spray gun in the horizontal position?
6) Any General advice that may help my project look professional.

As always your advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Tony Castagno