Re: [MV] M56 date of Manufacture

From: Chuck from Olive-Drab (cc@olive-drab.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:12:52 PDT

According to John Zentmyer's M-37 production book, his charts would put your
truck in May of 1952. That was the peak month of production with 2818
trucks built. He points out that the actual delivery date to the Army might
be a little different since trucks sat waiting for a few parts or other
delays.

A possible discrepency: His charts also show the M-56 is pretty rare: only
511 built with winch and 130 without. And he shows them all built in 1953
and 1954 which contradicts the serial number. He says that the M-56 were
delivered for Air Force Crash trucks, Navy Rescue trucks, and only 200
(w/winch in 1954) were Signal Corp Maintenance trucks. The latter had
"winch, hard cab, and ambulance-type spare wheel carrier". Does that match
your truck?

BTW, my M-37 is s/n 80027914 and it was built in the same month. We should
have a reunion.

I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Chuck