Re: [MV] [MV]head gaskets

From: Everett Doyle (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 06:23:22 PDT

Worked on CJ2 (before I found OD trucks) that blew head gasket - checked
surface on block - checked head - installed new gasket - torqued by the
book. In about 20 miles operation new gasket was gone. Redid everthing -
let jeep set for 24 hours = rechecked head bolts - the were all loose -
retorqued - let set 24 hours - loose again. bought new studs and bolts for
every hole in head - torqued - 24 hours later were just right -- 20 years
later they are still ok. And this jeep has not had an easy life - my son as
a teenager drove it quite a bit and I find out now all sorts of things he
and his friends did to it. I guess it also affected him for he has OD stuff
to play with now also.