Something is wrong here (M37 spare back to door)

From: Enterprise B&B/Cayman Islands, BWI (Enterprise@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 09:09:13 PDT

I had the spare tire carrier removed from the back of my M37 and I cleaned
it up. Now I'm 99 44/100% sure this is the original from this unit... all
the holes match, etc.

So I go to put it on to the 4 holes just forward of the driver's door. All
the holes line up. I get the unit installed at the hinge part (door is
closed) and go to close the unit to line it up with the latch projection
hole. ERROR! "Houston, we have a problem".

The door on my 1965 USMC unit bows out slightly and so the carrier arm will
not come parallel (flat) to match up to the latch projection. The door is
not the problem because the bow seems to be the style and the door closes
perfectly. If I am to get things to line up, I would have to put something
like 3" worth of shimming at the hinge side. Now I don't know from an
original if this is needed or what. As I said, I'm pretty sure this is the
original unit because it has the same Camo pattern, etc.

And OK, I'm going to check on the Port. Press book on relocating the spare
tire but I'm just wondering if it's about locating it "from" or "to" the
door or what, and I know it will be at least a week before I get it. So
I'm an impatient bugger and want to do something NOW!!!! Hmmm, guess that's
why I have been married a few (too many) times :)

Lastly, I see some CD-ROMS with lots of TM stuff on them offered (I think
in MV Magazine), anyone know if they are worth me getting?

Thanks.

David