MEP-003A acoustic suppression kit wanted

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 09:48:21 PDT

Hi, folks. I recently got a nice, young modified M103A3 1.5-ton
trailer with a nice, young, low-time MEP-003A 10kW diesel generator
mounted on it via Ebay. My plan is to tow it behind my M109A3 2.5-ton
shop van to provide power for camping, operating big radios (when
stationary), etc. Here's what it looks like:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/trailer1/p1.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/miscpics/MEP-003A.jpg

I'll take some better pictures someday.

The generator's engine is an air-cooled 4-cylinder diesel, and it's
LOUD. I'll need to quiet it down a lot before it's legal, let alone
practical, for use when camping.

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on the Acoustic Suppression
Kit for that generator? It's an enclosure which bolts onto the
generator to muffle engine block noise, baffle the cooling air, etc:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/miscpics/ASK.gif

I tried Saturn Surplus already, but they said that they mainly deal
with gasoline sets. I suspect I may also need to add on a bigger
muffler or two.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S.: In the "only in the military" department, my generator was made
around 1991, and arrived with about 2.9 hours on the engine. Except
for a bit of surface rust here and there from living in the midwest
for 9 years, it's in almost-new condition. I found that the batteries
weren't getting charged, and discovered that the charging voltage
regulator was missing. Now, it takes a bit of work to remove a bunch
of ducts and housings to get at the regulator and then put them all
back, so somebody went to a fair amount of effort to remove that
regulator, quite possibly after the trailered generator set was slated
for surplus, probably to fix a much older generator set. Why the heck
didn't they just swap their broken generator with that brand new
fully-operational one?! My guess is that more paperwork would have
been required... :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/