Re: [MV] War Birds

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 13:54:48 PDT

  Rikk

    Good question but they do IF the bird is brought back onto
   US soil. Example.. Gang of nice folks discovered an F6 Hellcat
   in about x feet of water off the Rhode Island coast.. Now these
   folks have a registered 501C museum at Quonset Point RI (old Navy
   Air and SeaBee base) So they raised the funds to go get it and
   started to do a cosmetic static restoration at their shop.

   The Navy folks got wind of it and came up to RI to seize the
   bird and all parts.. Something like 6 month legal battle ensued
   that ended with the Navy being declared as legal owner by Fed
   court. But since the group signed documents that they would not
   try to restore it back to flyable, they were allowed to keep it
   "on loan" .

   I know of only one guy thats beat them in court and that was over
   an SBD that came out of lake Michigan.. it is a shame that a lot
   of birds that could be rescued and restored are still sitting due
   to some very stupid policies..

   And the US is not alone Our Canadian brothers are just as bad..
   Tom Reiley and crew paid a finders fee to a Canadian guide to
   locate a downed US B-24 Liberator. They found it, went up and
   dismantled it and transported the part to the coast for shipment
   back to Fla to Toms shop.. The Canadian government seized the
   aircraft parts declaring them a national treasure.. Its still
   in international court after 5 something years..

   Some time ago all the South Pacific islands declaired all
   warbirds as national treasures with very hefty fees for one
   to attempt to rescue a wreck and get it out of the jungle.

   A lot of iron and aluminum world wide sits crodding away due
  to the policies of greed and stupidity of my fellow man..

                                       Bob B