M35A2's: turbo or not turbo?

From: Richard Tait (rtait@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 19:24:24 PDT

Dear listers,
I am looking at a nice M35A2 that a friend has for sale. It has a lot
of things I am interested in; air shift front axle, shock seat, and a
winch. The body is very straight and there is no rust. It has recently
been given a fair paint job.

This truck is a multifuel with a LD 465-1 engine with no turbo (it has a
muffler under the cab). My only other experience with M35A2's and
M109A3's has been with the turbocharged models. The truck does not seem
to smoke any more than the turbocharged models I've driven. I like the
fact that this truck has a muffler, and my neighbors will too on the
occasions that I might have it at my house.

My questions are:
Is there a significant difference in horsepower between the
turbocharged and non turbocharged trucks?
Could anyone please give me their driving impressions of the turbo and
non turbo versions?
Should I forget about quiet and look for a turbocharged truck?

I was not able to drive this truck on the road because it is not
licensed. I did drive it around quite a bit at an airport and was
pleased with it, but I never went over 35 mph. I am not a lead foot,
but I don't want to buy a slug either.

Thank you very much,
Matt Tait
Fullerton, CA