Re: [MV] Blazer Bridge Plate

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 11:37:24 PDT

We've covered this in detail before, but basically, bridge classification by
vehicle type is determined by the maximum permissable LADEN weight of the vehicle
in question, in tons, rounded to the nearest ton.

So, if you have a truck, the curb weight of which is (for instance) 7,230 pounds
and the laden weight of which is 9,160 pounds, the overall laden weight, and
therefore bridge class, would be 4.58 tons, or Bridge Class 5 (5 tons).

It's not an absolute measurement, but a good guideline. If the vehicle in
question is designed to tow, and regularly pulls, a specific trailer or load
(artillery piece for example), the bridge class sign should be governed by the
weight of the laden combination. There is a good 'fudge-factor' built in, though.

Someone should publish a general list of accepted bridge classifications for all
standard military vehicles... Chuck, maybe? :-)

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~