Re: [MV] M43 in Goldfinger

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 15:36:22 PDT

At 09:53 AM 10/14/00 -0700, Stephen Flynn wrote:
>Van-llywood,
>I think I've seen and pondered ''where did they get that!!?'' a few
>times. X files uses your stuff yes?I stayed across the street from the
>studios once(Fox?), thats when I discovered how many US cities are shot
>in Canada! Those alleys are the same as Seattle's.We lost are film
>industry here in Portland to BC ,that is another story.You should give
>the 'List' a list of shows with your MV"s,maybe you have.

Duchovny hated the rain, and the show split to L.A. a year or
two back. There's a bigger story there, but this isn't the venue.

X-Files used our vehicles, and those of other outfits, while they
shot here. I can't recall the episode titles, but one of the last
ones I worked on called for five M-151 1/4 tonners rigged out
as 'Military Police' vehicles with blue beacons sent to a UFO
crash site to arrest the ol' faceless aliens (I was using mine
as a daily driver at the time - and they rented that one too!),
in addition to an M52A2 tractor hooked up to a civvy China-Top
trailer painted up to look USAF. It looks like one scene on TV, but
in reality was three separate locations spread over four nights.
Four nights featuring freezing cold rain blowing sideways. Duchovny
liked that.

One other X-F ep that sticks in my memory is one where a number of
151's including an M718A1 amb drive down one of the piers
at the dockyards, next to a freight shed, and the actor picks up
a WWII EE-8 field-phone handset, pretends it's a radio, and
gives orders to someone or other despite no evidence of a radio,
or antenna, or anything. Really embarrassing seeing that sort
of thing, but I wasn't there at the time, and those that were
(on our end) evidently had no control over props. Certainly
a low point. Grr.

One we were shut out of that shot locally was the Ethan Hawke
film "Snow Falling on Cedars." There weren't that many military
shots, but one of them has a number of CCKW's cobbled together
from somewhere in the U.S. (evidently they had 11), and if
you look at one scene, one of them has a cargo box liberated
from someone's M135!

For those interested, you can see some of the vehicles we've
supplied in the following (that I can remember.) The company
is owned by a collector, all the staff (less one) are HMV collectors,
and all our collective income seems to be spent on buying and
restoring still more. Now if I could only find a bank run
by a collector....

This year: Seven Days, Dark Angel, Freedom, Level Nine,
                  Night Visions, Freddy Gets Fingered, The
                  Aladdin Window, Outer Limits, Stargate
                  (though only a couple of eps - most done by
                   a competitor on 'Gate)

Previous: X-Files, Secret Agent Man, Harsh Realm, Millennium,
                 Chips the War Dog, Aftershock (everyone in town
                 had stuff on that one), Pandora's Clock (likewise),
                 Rambo I: First Blood, 21 Jump Street - and I'll need some
                Scotch to remember more...

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.