HELP GAS IN THE OIL PAN What the dickens???

From: Rob Pearson (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 18:54:04 PDT

Help I'm totally snookered here !
Slightly off topic it's not about my '42MB or '46CJ2as,

However, I need HELP from someone with vast experience.

I have an engine in my Dodge caravan (1986 2.2L Carb., model )that ran fine
with, as usual, normal power etc., also it does "not" blow smoke or burn oil
& for all intentions was running totally normal
until last week ?

Its started right out of the blue to flood & would hardly want to run at all
& it kept wanting to stallout until you got the revs up & then, it would
run fine at 45-55+mph or above. During this two day period I tried some
preliminary tests, To sort of eliminate one thing at a time !
So, I wired the choke open "just in case", That, made no difference. I
pulled the carb apart and could "Not" find anything hanging up in the
needle or seat. Checked all vacumm hoses. Disconnected the computer
connector....? and as well, the float did "not" seem full, or heavy with
fuel. It is one of those Black plastic type floats.
Each time I ran the engine NO DIFFERENCE!

Finally in frustration, I walked away for a day to think about it
Next, before I tried to run it again, I decided it was time to change the
oil anyway... A BIG SURPRISE WAS IN STORE !

The sump pan had twice as much level as per normal. It was extremely thin
viscosity, and smelled very, very, heavy of gas?????

In many years, I've rarely heard about that happening ? But, not on what
appears to be a good normal running engine... with about 25K on it since
rebuild ...including bottm and top end and also new valve guides/valves
Who knows, just how would the fuel get into the pan anyway???

I have yet to restart it with fresh oil. ...and I haven't yet discovered
what caused the flooding.

Although, it is an older Carb., type engine... it does have an electronic
feed back Carburation System !

Remember, I disconnected the multi 6 pin computer connector, it still ran
rough & exceptionally rich... with the same problems when at higher speeds
( everything ran - seemed normal) and yet at lower speeds, it still
flooded, coughed, sputtered and choked out down at low revs.

I looked down the Carb throat normal accelerator pump squirt ! And, no
apparent reason to be flooding.
 I gave it full throttle... both throats opened and the normal huge sprayed
appeared below each venturi's

I pulled the inlet and exhaust manifolds... everthing looked normal the
except for some extra black film of new carbon deposits.

ANYONE out there with knowledge or experience with either problem especially
how would nearly a gallon of fuel end up in the bottom end.

I'm snookered!!

Is it possible the Float just jammed open! Causing the flooding.
The Needle and Seat are 6 months new and in perfect condition. There is also
an small (Paper type)fuel filter in the carb. body right before the needle
n seat! NO gunk in the filter at all.

Again... Im totally snookered
In Fact, IT GIVES ME THE WILLYS?? (There see, back on topic ...eh?)
Those with any past experience please reply, Thank you!
Mil-Veh' me online, or e'me direct if you wish at;

aussierob@odyssey.net

Thanks Rob P.

42MB and (3) CJ2As