GAS IN THE OIL PAN - PROBLEM SOLVED ...YES ! THANKS

From: Rob Pearson (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 20:35:13 PDT

To ALL Who replied To my GAS in The OIL pan problem
You were ALL Correct! Thank you from the bottom of my little pistons !
I went out and pulled the fuel pump!
And Yep... A tear in the fuel pump 3/16ths long yet that damm thing still
pumped without any fuel starvation ?

What a great treat this internet is !

Now the carb flooding was NOT at all, the problem.
It was running so rich due to the lubricationg medium being half fuel and
oil?
At low speeds the cylinder walls were being washed with such a mix of fuel
"and" oil, that it actually made the engine run far too rich at the lower
speeds very similar to driving with the choke jammed on!
Let's hope that rod bearings etc., aren't damaged. I never noticed any
knocking etc.

Now, here's one other thought, "from the past".

When I was younger my dad had a 47 Ford Deluxe flathead V8
After years of "normal" operation it started to burn huge amounts of oil...
really smoky!

How well I remember! Interestingly enough, the exact "opposite" of
tonights problem, occurred !
Back then, the diaphram sucked gobs of hot oil vapor into the fuel and it
was burned after passing through the carb!
My current problem was huge amount of Black Rich smoke.
Years ago, it was huge amounts of blue oil smoke !
Same pump problem, but greatly differing results
Well I learned something new and remembered something from the past.
What a night !
Many Thanks again to the ANSWER GUYS.
I'm SURE many other member of both the;
MIL-VEH & the WILLYS TECH group, did also benefit' from this information
Rob Pearson.
42MB - (3) CJ2As '46 & '47s