Re: [MV] Shipping Containers

From: Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:44:11 PDT

> Alternatively, there's a company called Cronos Containers - they're
> www.cronos.com I worked for them a couple of years back - they have
> several million around the world, i think they charge around ONE GBP per
day
> to hire, but that may be if you get them in bulk... still depending on
what
> you want them for it might be cheaper to hire rather than buy.

I actually want them for the storage of a disassembled building. I am in
the process of trying to save a couple WWII "temporary" warehouses that were
used as support warehouses for the Camp Holabird vehicle testing track.
Holabird was the Quartermaster's procurement branch for a most of the U.S.
"general purpose" vehicles that included the jeep, DUKW, 6x6s, Dodges, etc.
As part of the acceptance testing, they were subjected to Holabird's
"torture test" to find weaknesses in the designs. There were 3 identical
triplet warehouses that supported the testing track in the storage of
vehicles and equipment that maintained the track and as an area to tear down
the vehicles after the testing was complete to photograph and document the
vehicle's flaws and weaknesses. One of the warehouses has been torn down
leaving 2 remaining. I am trying to save the remaining 2. The city of
Baltimore has plans to demolish the buildings to create a industrial
development lot. I hope I am successful in stopping this by trying to
locate my company in the buildings, but I am not sure I will be successful
due to some city politics and a lack of caring about the city's history. So
as a contingency plan, I am trying to work out what it will cost to
dismantle the warehouses and store them in shipping containers until a more
friendly location for them can be found. I hate to see these pieces of
military vehicle history destroyed and tossed into a landfill.....

Todd Paisley