CUCV vs. Lincoln - gotta be a Monday!

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 10:10:58 PDT

Howdy list,
    Gotta love a Monday! I was on the way to work this morning. A woman was
late taking her kids to school & decided that she really didn't need to come to
a complete stop & look before pulling out onto the highway! I was driving
along at 55 mph or so & she hit me in the right rear corner panel. That blew
out my tire & changed my direction by about 20 degrees or so to the right.
Enough to send me off the road, down the embankment, and hit a steel pipe the
property owner had as a fencepost (set 1.5 feet deep in concrete).
    Now for the good part, my only damage was scratched paint on the bumper
from the post, scratched paint on the grillguard from wire on the post. The
rear quarterpanel needs to be bent back out, passenger door rubs at the front
edge now, & I had to buy a new tire & get it aligned & balanced. Hopefully
there's not much more hidden damage.
    *** So who makes the best color/finish match for CARC 383 paint? I bet the
body shop my insurance will send me to will not have it in stock so I'll have
to order it. =^) Other than that I think it'll just be bending the body panel
back into shape.
    BTW, the Lincoln didn't fare as well as the CUCV. Her bumper came
competely off, destroyed her grill, headlight, damaged quarterpanel & hood. I
think I saw the wrecker driver picking up radiator pieces also. Right after
the accident, as I hopped out of my CUCV to see if she & her kids were ok, she
started accusing me of speeding & swore she had come to a compete stop. As I
told the cop, it's a Diesel, I couldn't have been speeding if I had wanted to!
    Also, I discovered that the stock jack doesn't get low enough to go under
the axle to swap tires. If you drive a CUCV, you may want to go ahead & get a
good bottlejack & a couple of pieces of 2x4 to keep in your CUCV. I had to
have my wife buy a bottlejack & bring it to me because I couldn't change the
tire with the stock jack. Not to mention, the crank for the stock jack is just
a cruel joke.

Later,
Brian Mead