Re: Something completely different

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 08:32:55 PDT

Rikk,
The Nimitz Museum searched, located and acquired the PT-309 for the sole
purpose of displaying it at the Admiral Nimitz Museum Center for Pacific War
Studies. Unfortunately she was in sad shape. As with many restorations,
the difference between refitting her to a static condition and refitting her
to a seaworthy condition was so small as to be inconsequential. Somewhere
along the way (admittedly, due to poor leadership from the Nimitz) someone
failed to put the brakes on this project. Several of the "volunteers"
proved to be quite adept at raising funds and the Museum is always
interested in doing that. Unfortunately, the fundraising "volunteers"
forgot WHOSE boat they were raising funds for!.. The end result seems to be
that some of the so called volunteers now believe they have a financial
interest in the boat and want to exercise control over it.

Several years ago, Bill Daskalos (not a subscriber) and I did a partial yet
very invasive restoration on the Nimitz's DUKW and put it in the water for
the first time in some 25 years without a leak. As volunteers for the
project we were offering our time, expertise, lots of hard labor, a few
drops of blood (and occasionally a few dollars out of our own pocket) for
free, (hence the title, volunteer.) NEVER did anyone at the Nimitz suggest
that Bill and I would have any right to exercise any control over the DUKW
when it was finished! By extension of the idea of being a volunteer, had I
been some whiz-kid at raising funds and that was my contribution to the
project then it would be strictly on a volunteer basis and done for free.
Anything done for compensation is contract labor!

So basically, what we have here are some clever fellows who, under the guise
of being volunteers, have craftily involved themselves in a project they
have no legal claim to. Suddenly, they announce they are entitled to
compensation, even though (to the contrary) they signed on as volunteers.

The Admiral Nimitz Museum (run by the State of Texas) does not like negative
 publicity, so much of this jousting over the PT-309 has been kept low key
which is why the state has not brought out any of their sumo-lawyers and
squashed these priates like the bugs they are. I don't think these guys
have any substantial amount of their own money contributed to the project
but I really do not know. The Nimitz would never allow them to "invest"
their money in the project as that would entitle them to something in
return. The State of Texas has very strict guidlines regarding
contributions and donations and accepts those things in that way only.
Investments, as you put it, are strictly prohibited.

So there you have it in a very big nutshell!

Regards,
TJ