Gas Humvee

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 02:26:33 PDT

Chuck wrote:

"Does anyone have any thoughts on the 5.7 v8 equipped civilian hummer? Is
this a good fit for the hummer?"

I suppose this was bound to come up. AMG in the early years of civilian
Hummers built a few gas models. To say the least, they were NOT well
received. And for good reason too. They had NO torque. They were equipped
with a 454 ci engine and only a few were built. They still might be
available but I know they don't like to do it. A 5.7 in one would be like
putting a four banger in a CUCV. I think they did experiment with a 350 but
it never went into production. You need that bottom end torque for a 4
wheeler. Perhaps if you only use it for show and don't go anywhere with it
you could use a gas engine but your Humvee would be worthless as a Humvee.
Julian Burke