Re: [MV] Jeeps in crates.....

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 23:26:08 PST

Hum.....

I've seen lots of photos of them being built out of crates, and I believe
they were sometimes shipped as a twin unit pack too. The main drive
behind this was supposed to be the absolute shortage of shipping cubic
during a heavy period of U boat activity.

I can quite believe there was a sale somewhere in the '50s or '60s where
surplus jeeps were auctioned off in crates, and maybe even a wreck went
for USD 10 now and again. I was told by a Norwegian that when the
Norwegian Army auctioned off some GMC 6 x 6s that were in a remote depot
in the north of Norway (and it does go a lonnng way north) that an auction
was stopped when they couldn't get a bid of more than 100 NKr (that's
about UKP 10 or USD 15) per vehicle because of the cost of fuel to get
them all that way south.

Gordon