Re: [MV] S-t-r-r-r-r-e-t-c-h-e-d

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 16:44:43 PST

>I have a friend building a channeled (drop the cab down lower
>on the frame) and shortened M35A2. Plans are to swap out
>the multifuel for a big block Chevy and go 4X4.

You know what I've thought would be really cool??? Take two M35's or one
M35 and a salvage one. Remove the entire front axle, springs, hangars, etc
from the front of the good one. Then remove the entire rear trunion
suspension thing from the rear of the other one and put it in the front of
the good one. Then put the two steering axles into the front mounted
trunion/suspension system such that the new front-front axle is in the same
position as the old front axle. Everything bolts on, looks like it would
work. You would have to push the wheels out a little and you'd have to
make up some interesting steering components to keep all the Ackerman angles
happy and such. I did a simulation on the confuser of all this including
the amount of bind up when in a turn between the two fronts and it's only a
few percent max. Then you'd move the engine and tranny and transfer back
about 2 feet and up a foot (roughly) then slide the cab forward and down
and close off the front. With some skill you'd end up with your own
mini-Hemmt. I may never be able to afford a real one so I may just make my
own. Some people tell me I have to much time on my hands..........

later,

je