Re: [MV] "Memphis Belle"

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 10:22:34 PST

I am taking the liberty of re-posting for the list a message Capt.
Morgan put on the Net last >April: quote: <snip> My crew and I
were the first to complete 25 combat missions during WWII. <snip>

Not to take anything away from Bob Morgan and crew, but I recall hearing and
reading on numerous occassions that the Memphis Belle was not the first to
reach the magic number of 25 missions. There were other planes and other
crews that did it prior to them. They were the ones singled out for the
documentary on it and the first to get some official/unofficial recognition
of the fact.

I've also heard that they were the first complete crew and plane combination
to complete 25 missions. Again, I don't think this is completely correct.
Seems again, the film gained them the recognition as ONE OF THE EARLIEST to
do so, but not exactly the first.

Anyone else recall hearing this?

Jim