Re: [MV] B-17's, Jeeps and Flight Line

From: Dan Bever (goin_myway@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 05:20:14 PST

Hi Tim, I wanted to reply to all on this so am sending
the message again. Hit the wrong reply tab last night.

I believe the movie Tim is referring to is the 1990
release "Memphis Belle". The movie was shot in England
at the Duxford Airfield in Cambridgeshire during the
Summer of 1989. In the movie they used 5 B-17s. Two
from private collectors in the USA, two from different
group owners in France and the last one in England
called the Sally B. They also used 5 P-51 Mustangs, a
B-25 Mitchell, and 3 Bf-109s (Spanish built). During
filming one of the French planes crashed on takeoff
and was a total loss. Fortunitly no one was killed as
I understand there were 10 people on board at the
time. The rest of the planes in the movie as others
have stated were models and computer generated. For
the MV connection they apparently hired some 60
original WWII MVs from our fellow UK brethern. What
luck they have to get their vehicles in the movies.
Anyhow I thought the producers did a pretty good job
in at least trying to get most of the original stuff
together which is no easy task after 50 some odd years
of time. William Wilder had it a little easier as he
filmed the original Memphis Belle during the war.
Later
Dan Bever
MVPA 18507
1951 M-37