Re: [MV] MVs in crates

From: Michael Stallwood (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 10:36:27 PST

Here in England some time in the late fifties, the Ministry of Defence sold
at auction, Canadian Universal Bren Gun Carriers in crates. I have seen
several of these still crated in the late sixties. The crates had a trap
door on the side for inspection purposes and enterprising ( and dishonest)
persons had climbed through this to steal the sirens! I have had two or
three of these carriers through my hands and they were definitely new. Last
one went away about ten years ago.

Bought my first Jeep from Evans scrap yard in Manchester in 1957. It had 75
miles on the clock and came with original hood and sides with the metal
reinforced windows direct from the big US base on Burtonwood airfield. In
those times demil consisted of two hacksaw cuts in the front chassis rails.
The Jeep cost £75 (about 120$). Sounds cheap? At that time I was an
engineering apprentice at Metropolitan Vickers in Manchester. We were paid
£3 yes three pounds A WEEK!!!! So today, a good restored low mileage Jeep
still costs 25 times the basic wage.

Cheers, Mike S. UK