Re: [MV] HMMWV questions and parts

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 18:01:23 PST

Tony Castagno <tcastagno@careerstream.com> wrote:
> Well I've got the truck painted and it came out very well... thanks for all
> the suggestions I will try to take some pics. I also put my Rear Cargo
> cover on (the cargo cover that goes with the 4 man soft top) It fits great,
> however I haven't been able to tie down the antennas I'm afraid of chafing
> the cargo cover.... I also have the fording exhaust installed..... Does
> anybody else have this configuration?

Yes, I have this configuration.

> And if yes how are you doing your tie down.

The usual way, and yes, it does chafe the cargo area cover right at
the sides of the rear bows. I put some clear, dense plastic tape
(which was meant for making saw fences and similar things slippery) on
the antennas and the cargo cover where the rubbing occurs. That helped
for a while, but eventually the adhesive got soft in the sun, and the
strips started falling off. Maybe the recommendation of mounting some
canvas or leather there would be better. I haven't found any of the
offset antenna mounts yet, but that would probably be the best
solution.

I haven't been mounting my antennas at all lately, because I have to
take them off to get the truck in my garage, anyway, and there's
nobody I talk to on 6 meters here. I don't even leave the radios in my
truck most of the time. I can easily put the radios and antennas back
on if I want to show off my truck, but I mostly just drive it as a
semi-daily driver.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/