Gotten LOST in a Jeep!

From: Rob Pearson (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 11:32:51 PST

This could happen to anyone of us sometime during our lives!
A friend who knows of my fervor for the little scrappy 4x4s sent this to me
for two reasons but , he said, :mainly because of my four jeeps and my
indecision... at times !
 I thought it cute... yet mildly humorous in two ways ???

At the end of the war, stateside, two soldiers were assigned to deliver a
jeep in good condition from Fort Drum in NY to Tobyhanna, Pa. They were told
by their superior officer, that the jeep had to be delivered by the next
day. So, they decided the best way was to take an additional jeep and
whichever seemed the best at the end of the trip would be their ticket back
to upstate NY, while the lesser of the two jeeps, would stay as the
delivered vehicle.
Leaving at 1100 hrs., they took nearly two hrs to get to Syracuse, NY having
stopped twice on the way for a smoke & coffee. At this point, they decided
to leave the main road & drive the rest of the way using the back roads
towards Norwich, NY and into Pa where one of the drivers knew someone that
would put them up for a night with a good home cooked meal. However,
sometime into the afternoon they had apparently made a wrong turn and soon
realized they were lost. They eventually came down into the small town of
Guildford, NY, virtually no more than an intersection, store and gas pump
with attached Post Office. As they were unloading their jerry cans a
youngish blonde woman came out and jokingly offered them directions
She said, "good afternoon boys... I think you've come the wrong direction,
the War is back that way!"
"Well thanks", replied one of the men!. "we're not looking for the War...
though it does seem we've made a wrong turn. Can you tell us where we are
relative to the NY 17E?"

"Well", She replied, "Your boys are in two jeeps approximately 30 feet
from the post office... and you are between 40 and
41 degrees North latitude & about 59 and 60 degrees West longitude."
 "You must be a Republican," said the driver of the 1st jeep. "I am,"
replied the woman. "How did you know?"
"Well," answered the driver of the 2nd. jeep, "it seems everything you told
us is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your
information, and the fact is... we are still lost. Frankly, you've not been
much help so far."

Sizing up the situation, the blonde put her hands on her hips & responded.
"Well then, you two boys must be a Democrats."
"We are," they both replied, "but how did you know?"
"Well," replied the blonde, "you don't know where you are, or where you are
going. The fact is boys, in spite of your maps, you have gotten here to
where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise to
your superiors, which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to
solve your problem. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you
were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

Hey silly, eh?
Remember, whatever happens Tuesday, this great great country will go on with
great strides, well beyond this century.
Robbo