Re: [MV] war graves vs salvage HMV's

From: Demonware Restorations (INDYN@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 16:09:04 PST

Certain militaries around the world have a lot to learn about
'Preservation', 'Respect' and 'Learning to quit when they are Ahead'.

For a start heres a few little tips for those wishing to bring anything to
the surface, or back into the public view. Recently I had the chance to
retrieve a WWII Chance Vought Corsair. I had no problem locating the craft.
A letter to 'Infernal (oops sorry) Internal Affairs' stating that I was
searching for a downed plane (no description mind) and that it was believed
to contain the remains of the pilot. The local Police were informed that I
was ex-military police and copies of photographic evidence (of the deceased)
would accompany the file to them. The body would then be bagged and returned
to the Police for return to the respective family and burial. The plane
however: The military were not interested (until it was located and removed)
and told in no uncertain terms to f--- off. If they had have wanted to
retrieve the craft they have had 50 or so years to do so. When in fact we
let them look at the craft they checked the firewall ID number and assessed
that it was not the plane they thought it was. It did not appear on their
file list. (Ok a few of you will be thinking very hard now).

Yep, the ID tags were swopped and there isn't a thing they can do about it.

In the end everyone was happy.

We got the plane and restored it (almost to flying status)
Military have got ZIP, but one of their planes now sits for all to see. (the
only one left I might add)
The family were able to finally say 'goodbye'.
The forrestry haven't got a large pile of twisted metal on their land (not
that they knew it was there anyway).

OK so there were a few underhanded tactics to obtain it, but calling it a
war grave was rediculous. All aspects were dealt with the utmost respect and
congratulations and thanks expressed by the family.

The Military pay excesses of amounts of money for this equipment, they loose
it, they leave it. Everyone has to remember:

The Military owns NOTHING.....The taxpayer owns it ALL....

They leave their trash lying around, someones going to clean it up and what
is one mans trash is another mans treasure.
I would help anyone who wishes to restore, resurface, etc, any item of
militaria in any way I can.

My two cents

Adam North
RNZAF Police Ret.
Demonware Restorations
1919 Indian Power Plus (could be military scheme, but undecided)
1941 M741B Indian
1942 M741B Indian
88' Landrover NZSTG
Type 82 Kubelwagon