RE: [MV] A couple of fuel questions......

From: Russell Hill (russell@cyberport.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 18:38:05 PST

No it'll still gel. My wife and I spent a memorable night driving a 1985
ford diesel (with #1 diesel) across wyoming at 35 below - we made it but
coughing and sputtering the whole way. Literally hundreds of semis gelled
and left along the interstate between Laramie and Cheyenne. I've been told
that straight kerosene won't gel (probably will at some temp) - the real
answer for extreme conditions is heated tanks and fuel lines.

Russell

So then, # 1 diesel won't gel?

rikk

>At what temp does diesel gel.
>And I know they add gasoline to it to keep this from happening, what are
the
>ratios?

No thanks. I did this once, and only once, in a pinch and the gas seperated
from the diesel some how, ended up not doing any good. By the time the tank
ran out I was burning almost straight gas. A fill with fresh diesel the
next morning plus warmer weather took care if.

Far better is to run #1 diesel or a mix 50/50 perhaps. In my little diesel
pickup I run 100% #1 diesel all winter.

je