[MV] New laws=no more mv's?

From: Hank (dukw@voyager.net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 20:02:00 PST

Our local club (Northern Illinois Chapter - MVPA) has a committee assigned
to monitor new crusher laws that would require older cars destroyed. One
of our committee members forwarded me a copy of the following letter which
appeared in the latest newsletter of COVA/CVAG (Council of Vehicle
Associations/Classic Vehicle Advocate Group, Inc.) This is a watchdog group
similar to SEMA except that it is privately funded.

NOTE: This letter was written from one car club to inform another car club.
So don't write nasty letters to the folks who this letter was written to.

September 07, 2000

Mrs. Shirley Zaner, President
Old Car Council of Colorado
P0 Box 280042
Lakewood, Colorado [80228]
RE: Adverse Federal Legislation now in Committee.

Dear Shirley:

I've overheard conversation about some proposed legislation buried (of
course) in a DOD package now being worked in committee and thus perhaps
close to going somewhere? This legislation is potentially very harmful the
Military Vehicle Club and to anyone with any vehicle that was ever built
for or owned by the US Government.

As I understand it, the proposed legislation would call for the
registration of Ownership of all (tactical?) property that was ever
contracted for and/or owned by the Government, and even for the tech
manuals for such! It is understood that the eventual objective is the
confiscation, or disabling (read render non-operative non-functional) of
all such property. This not only includes all of the Jeeps, 4bys, 6bys,
ambulances, amphibs, personnel carriers, etc., it would include any of
thousands of autos and pickups. All this potentially infringes on every
American's Right to ownership of private property.

More revealing yet, parts of this legislation addresses all of the tens of
thousands of collectible rifles, carbines, and pistols that were sold to
honest law abiding citizens under the auspices of the governments Civilian
Marksmanship Program! Another way to disarm the law abiding American citizenry?

The bill is HR4205 and if I understood correctly the worst parts are found
in Sections 361 and 362.

The folks who collect and restore vintage aircraft were among the first to
find out about this tyrannical law and started to spread the word by
posting info available via their web site. See info posted August 21st and
24th, and September 1st and 6th.

I believe all clubs, hobbyists, and appropriate communications resources
should be informed and become involved in contacting their Congressman to
express their (our) opposition to this repressive legislation. We should
all fully support all. affected clubs, and especially the Military Vehicle
Cub to help protect their (our) Right to ownership of private property. I
believe it appropriate to expedite the intimidate mailing of "the minutes"
and to include this information. All clubs should have their members become
informed as to this legislation, then call and write their Congress (wo)man
immediately.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

William B. Colburn, Pontiac-Oakland Club I Past-President OCCC
P0 Box 1108
Westminster, Colorado [80036-1108]