Re: [MV] Veteran's Day Parade and cadillac engines

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 12:22:06 PST

james swan wrote:

> Think that you are not quite right re the nickname Honey re Stuart tanks
> the nickname goes back to the early M3 Stuart. cheers James

According to Robert Crisp in BRAZEN CHARIOTS, the appellation 'Honey' as applied
to the Stuart tank, was coined by his driver, Whaley, in Egypt, early in the
desert war, regarding the M-3. Crisp was a Captain in the 3rd RTR, and had been
tasked with evaluating the first of the "new" American tanks to reach them... he
and his crew took the first of them out into the desert to see if they could break
it - they had previously gone through hell in Greece putting up with A9s and A10s
and their attendant unreliability - and at the conclusion of that exercise, when
they had been unable to even throw a track (endemic with early British tanks),
Whaley had proclaimed, "...it's a 'honey', sir!". The name stuck.

BRAZEN CHARIOTS has to be one of the finest books ever written on the subject of
tank warfare in WW2. It's still available through the used book market, and I urge
everyone with an interest in the genre and period to secure a copy. You won't
regret it...

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~