Batteries

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 01:34:58 PST

Do not be fooled by the cranking amps rating of a battery.I was going to get
into the battery rebuild business years ago(but didn't for various reasons).
If you have 2 batteries the same size i.e. group 24 and one is 450 cranking
amps and the other is 800.What is done to increase the amps is to make a
thinner plate.The 450 unit usually has thicker plates whereas the 800 would
have thinner but more plates to make 800.The 450 should be able to handle
more abuse and overall should last longer.There are variables to
this.Maintainence being one.You would be better off to buy 2 450 units than
one 800 or 900 unit.This applies only if they are the same size.
A trick to rejuvenate dead batteries(sometimes)is to replace the acid with
new stuff and recharge.Some batteries do well with just a low trickle charge
to rejuvenate whereas others like the interstates need a heavey blast from a
high power charger to shock them.New acid is usually available from your
local Chrysler dealer in 20 litre/5 gallon cubes.I average 6 months to a
year on batteries that have sat around dead for over a year.Some just don't
work no matter what.
Optima batteries are the preferred choice around here.They can be
frozen,shot at,turned upside down,side ways,have part of the case smashed
off,etc and still function.Exide also has a similar unit.I find these do not
last any longer than the normal batteries but it's the abuse that they can
handle that put others to shame.
Andre