Re: [MV] Diesel

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 04:28:26 PST

I am familiar with the 'F' head problem on the series ones and six
cylinders.This particular truck was a series 2 1959.Some of the guys around
here just ran thier trucks rich on purpose to keep or slow down the valve
burning problem on the series ones.Many found that by just changing the
seats with a generic hardened seat helped a lot.The series one motor is a
tractor motor anyways and doesn't like high revs.
A trick I used many a time to get mileage out of any of the LR's I have or
drive was to use the best octane fuel in one tank and the worst crap you can
find in another.You need 2 tanks of course.I tried this first in a
lightwieght when I had to go over 2,000 miles on a very tight budget.The
timing was set for the best fuel with the most advance I would dare.Then
when driving I would have the dual tank switch on the tank with the good
stuff when I was going up hills and change over to the crap on the flats and
down hills.On the flats I couldn't have full throttle without pinging but
only about 3/4 throttle and down hill didn't really matter.I got 30 miles to
the gallon in a lightwieght.
Also,using avigas was a waste of money on our hill climber.Didn't make any
difference over regular gas station fuel.I did some asking around and the
general concensus was that avigas was designed for low rpm engines and most
aircraftengines don't turn over 4000 anyways.
Andre