MUTT and I got out-in time!

From: Anith@wfp.org
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 03:43:41 PST

Dear List,

It is good to be back- alive and safe!

For those who don't know me, I am an international staffer with a UN
humanitarian relief agency working in Sudan (North-eastern Africa)since
1998. Sudanese army was a buyer of American military hardware until 1989
when anti-American policy was adopted by the military regime that toppled
the democratic government in a coup. All the old vehicles are being
disposed-off. That included the 1984 MUTT that I bought. Now it is the
Chinese that suply the vehicles.

I am now based in a place called Kassala-about 400 miles north-east of
Khartoum on the Khartoum-Port Sudan highway. The border with Eritrea is 2
miles away fronm the town. The Sudanese anti-government rebels have bases
inside Eritrea and are supported by the Eritrean government.

On November 8, the rebels attacked the town at dawn with small weapons and
heavy mortars. Street fighting took place around the place where I lived
with my MUTT and it was impossible for a few hours to move out to safety.
It was only after a few hours later that I could sneak my MUTT out of the
place and in to the relative safety of our office on the other side of the
town while fighting was still raging elsewhere in the town. I had to drive
keeping a low profile to avoid any stray bullets.(My MUTT has no roof and
the windshield is always folded
down.)

The UN arranged an evacuation convoy and by late afternoon, the convoy of
22 UN vehicles with over 120 staffers left the town. I stayed back with my
MUTT and a couple of national staffers. The shelling started within a few
hours and continued in to the night. Again, my MUTT and I were safe. The UN
decided that it need not have any hero and the next day I was asked to get
out in a two-UN vehicle convoy.

Of course, I drove my MUTT squeezed in between the two Toyota Landcruisers-
just in case we come under any sniper fire. We made the 60 miles journey in
to safety without a hitch.

Yes, it is good to be alive, write to the list and still have my MUTT too!

BTY, the rebels have been driven out and the town is reinforced. As soon as
the UN shows the green light, I will be back-with my MUTT!

More as the situation develops.

Cheers!

Anith