Re: [MV] Never say NO

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 09:36:52 PST

>Milstuf said:
>"I know where 14 of those went to which dealer and they
>were totally legal thease as I understand never were sold to any Government
>they were rejects or test Vehicles from AMG.".......

>Julian wrote,
>........Well not exactly. AMG sold those units as scrap to a salvage
>dealer up there
>and AMG thought they understood that but it didn't happen that way. They
>were then sold to collectors (some around $3000) and AMG was miffed by that
>and as a result will make sure that if this event happens again, the units
>will be shredded. AMG has a very strong stance on this subject. Legal?
>Perhaps. Rejects? No such thing, AMG doesn't build rejects, only
>prototypes. These were the first ever built starting with serial number 1.
>You don't sell your prototypes to the gov't!

     Sorry Julian, I have to disagree with you. You are close on this but
have some of your facts mixed up.

      How do I know? Because I was the one that found that scrapper and
let the Michigan dealer know about the vehicles. I also bought one of those
Hummers.

       The ones that went to the scrap dealer you are talking about were
not the prototypes. There were preproduction (PPV) and production (PRD)
vehicles. They were used for mileage testing and load testing and were
built after the deliveries to the Government had begun.

       The prototypes went to a different scrap dealer also located in
Michigan. I know because I took them apart at the scrap yard.

      AMG has a test facility on Plymouth road and this is where all of
these vehicles came from. The prototypes were sold as scrap to Plymouth
Iron & Metal on Schoolcraft road in Plymouth Twp. PI&M had the scrap
contract for all scrap coming out of AMG's testing lab. This means all the
parts, scrap metal and vehicles. Now, at the time I lived right next door
to PI&M and when I saw a truck with a Hummer on it pull in there I went
right over. PI&M had a contract that would not allow them to sell these
vehicles whole. They would and could sell me anything I wanted off of
them. I proceeded to dismantle most of the 6 or so prototypes that they
had there and bought all the parts for scrap prices by the pound.
     I still have some of the data plates with SN# 000006, 000003 and sold
off others. PI&M would call me every time they had a dumpster come in with
more parts and I would go through the 2,000 lbs or so and buy the good stuff.

      A while later I was set up at a gun show and a dealer friend of mine
said he knew of some Hummers that might be for sale. I had him take me to
the guy who had them and he was right. They were Hummers and they were for
sale. This guy (well call him Jim X ) had bought them for scrap and was
offering them for between $2,500 to $4,500. There were about 15 to 20 of
them there if I remember correctly. All variations and in running and not
running condition. Some still had bags of lead shot in the bed where they
were put to load test them while they ran them back and forth on I-96 to
rack up miles and see what wore out.
      Why didn't I buy them you're thinking? Two reasons. One, I had just
bought a nearly new van and had little money and two, at that time
(pre-Gulf War) no one knew what they were and no demand had been created
for them.
     So, I contacted my friend, that Michigan dealer, and had him come over
to check them out. He looked them over and thought the $4,000 or so for the
nice ones might be high (remember, no one knew much about these things
then). I said that I though they ought to be worth about $10,000.00
each. Well, he went home and thought about it for a day or so and called
me back to go over with him and help him pick out four of them. Since I
had found these for him he offered to loan me the money for one. (like I
said, he is friend) I picked out a nice open top model that was complete
except for the steering column and bought it for $4,000.00. This Hummer,
PRD-351, had 2,200 miles on it and was used for testing the RED-T chain gun
so it saw little use. Of course the missing steering was no problem for me
as I had all the parts from the PI&M Hummers and had it running in a day.
       Now, the scrapper, Jim X, sold one of these vehicles just before we
bought ours to a MV dealer in Indiana. This dealer called AMG looking for
parts and said since he had one could he buy from the factory. Well the
factory wanted to know where he got one of these since they did not sell to
the public. When they found out about Jim X selling them they got right on
his case. He pulled off the data plates from the vehicles and (I think)
sent them back. Then he contacted the Michigan dealer and made a deal for
all the rest that he had left. Now, pulling off the data plates would seem
like a problem but each of these vehicles had a plate riveted to the
drivers side cowl with the SN of the vehicle. This made it simple to title
them here in Michigan and that's what I did with mine. I still have the
paper work with the SN listed as PRD 351 (and insured by AAA) .
     If you ever see a Hummer with a small plate on the side with PPV or
PRD you will know it was one of this batch.

       Hold on, before you guys get out your phone books and start looking
for PI&M I should tell you that they sold the yard and all the scrap, I
mean every piece, was sent out to the mills.

     And, about AMG shredding everything? Well, maybe in South Bend, but
not here in Detroit. Several months ago I spotted a military Hummer on a
roll off truck sitting in a junk yard near my home. Checking inside I found
that they did have more in the yard and they were for sale or for parts.
Seems they have the scrap contract now. Unfortunately, they know the value
of a Hummer and there are no real deals to be had. No, I'm not telling the
name of this yard, gotta keep some thing quiet cause I don't want the FBI
called on them.................

>............. BTW, did you know police and other
>gov't municiples can get Hummers for law enforcement if they become
>available through surplus and for free? 151 jeeps were never available that
>way as they were on the demil list.............

       Maybe now, but years ago there were M-151's that went to some state
agencies and a few were sold. I could tell you more but I won't to protect
the innocent...........

BTW.......I hear my old Hummer is for sale in Texas. You can tell it if you
see it by four square holes in the bed where the mount for the RED-T gun
was attached. Course it's gonna cost a little more than I paid for

            Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
                Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
                Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA