Re: [MV] HMMWV 60 AMP GENERATOR NEEDED

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 10:33:35 PST

> The 60 amp alternator is a Military Standard..used on everything that uses
> 60 amp alternator...Gene

Only the pulleys are different: three belt for the M-151 take-offs folks
generally suggest, and two belt for the M-35's. HMMWV ones are the two-belt
type, and I've robbed one or two off of M-35 parts trucks with no problems.

Most of the HMMWV's we had came with alternators with the back mounting
casting sheared off due to some USMC mechanic-type reinstalling rebuilt
equipment, forgetting the spacer, and torquing the nut or bolt down for all
it was worth against a casting unsupported from behind. Naturally, they
cracked.

You can swap pulleys from your defunct unit to your replacement one if you
wish, but I've had a few that wouldn't budge despite being heated up to the
point of meltdown by the torch, and pried, beat, coaxed and otherwise
coerced without success.

Have fun!

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211