Registration numbers

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 17:03:30 PST

I have read that in the post war period, the registration numbers on US Army
vehicles had some "coding" to them. That is different prefix's to denote
various uses. Someone on the list also suggested that in the later postwar
system the registration number also coded the year built/contracted (NKO4US
being, I am told, a 1974 registration number).
Am I correctly informed on these subjects?
If so where will I find a "key" to these codes, both the early, and late
types?

Any help appreciated,
Sincerely,
David Doyle