Re: [MV] [[MV] Heads up in Sweden??]

From: 2Roses (2roses@swipnet.se)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 10:44:42 PST

A brief translation of the message: http://user.thinet.se/~Imx072e/upprop.htm
The page was launched by a Swedish magazine: 4WD, issue for November # 11.

STOP THE WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY!
The main thing is to act fast! Defense authorities are, at this moment, working very hard to scrap 2930 4WD´s by the method of fragmenting the vehicles. Due to the fact that there is no need for the vehicles in question, in accordance with the new slim organization of the defense force, the vehicles have to go. The decision to scrap the whole lot was taken with consideration to environment. If these vehicles were to be sold to MV preservation individuals or to off road people, the environment effects should be at the margin. Besides, the Government treasures could add at least
40 000 000 SEK to their accounts.
During the fall of 2000, defense authorities are going to scrap 3000 army vehicles. Most of them are in mint condition - some of them just brand new. Normally the procedure is to sell to the highest bidder! This is not going to be the procedure this time. "Valparna", "Vikingarna" and the tracked vehicles won't be sold, but fragmented. Following this decision, non-of the vehicles will ever be put out on the market.
We would like to stop this behavior!
This decision means: 1850 tracked vehicles type 202/203, 390 vehicles type 9033, w/radio, 90 vehicles type 9033, 90 vehicles type 903 and 600 vehicles type 934 are going away!
All of these vehicles has been sold to the Swedish company "Stena", to be fragmented, for the sum of 511 500 SEK.
The price for each unit is 175 SEK. Please keep in mind that only the cost for moving these vehicles to the place of burial should be several thousands of SEK for each unit.
In the old days, when the regiments used to sell surplus on there own, a "Valp" in a reasonable condition went away for the price of, exceeding 20 000 SEK. Considering the present deal a similar vehicle was price tagged for 50 SEK?
If only the 9033´s should be sold for an approximate price of 15 000 SEK/unit, the total income for the Government would land in the range of 6 000 000 SEK.
This is not the appropriate way to handle taxpayer money. Besides, all of these vehicles do belong to the Swedish people in the first place. At least one should be granted the possibility of buying them back again.
Additionally this affair is contradicting the guidelines given from the Government, to the Defense authorities - surplus should, at first hand, be given to rescue services and volunteer organizations.
The next step to get rid of surplus is stated to be, selling of to the public.
Only equipment regarded to be non-value should be scrapped.
Defense authorities do have an well-organized and experienced function for selling of surplus material. Let them take care of the disposal of the surplus in question.
No doubt, the whole lot will be sold immediately and the Government will gain a lot of money.
You can put in an effort in order to maintain the history of Swedish MV:s. Fill in the form below, or send in a Xerox, to the Minister of Defense - Bjorn von Sydow. Time is scarce, while you are reading this, the machines at Stenas plants, located in the Swedish cities Halmstad and Haninge are chewing frenetically...
...I did this translation from Swedish to English. However I can not verify the given figures or the facts whatsoever. I will not accept any responsibility concerning errors in my translation - English is not my mother tongue and any mistakes are purely a mistake due to this fact. My only intention with this interpretation is to give English speakers a brief note of the message contained in the mentioned home page. I only would like to add, that to my knowledge the whole sad story is painfully the truth.. I urge anyone, interested, to find other sources for a second opinion on the content in the article.
Karl Rosberg: 2roses@swipnet.se
Original text copyright: Thomas Possling
Photos copyright: Lars von Rosen