Agony and the Ecstasy

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 12:06:50 PST

Here's the fast-forward on the past 18 months:
Bought 1939 Ford 1.5 Ton Panel CONVERSION--What is it?--NOT dogcatcher,
NOT bakery, NOT Bell Telephone. Insignia and logos ALL over this OD
thing! What is it?
Found lots of yellow stripes and the list said
"Airfield, maybe!" Not in Crismon's Compendium, not in ANYBODY'S
memory, either. E-mailled EVERYONE! Authors, magazines, three
generals, other old soldiers,
NADA! Lots of nice people, though.
This month figured out for sure that I have "Great Seal Of The State Of
California" on pass. door! OH NO! After all this, a State
vehicle? Well, maybe later it was... Confirmed
earlier that I have California National Guard
insignia, also! 40th Inf. Div. "BALL OF FIRE"
logo on lower part of pass. door.
A little history... this vehicle has a very well done CONVERSION that
resembles "utility body" built into panel sides. Thanks to Joe Shannon,
I can e-mail these pictures at will now.
Here's my final destination, I think, on this VERY long saga. Monday
eve found "115"
in large stylized numbers on three out of four
doors. Next to each fancy "115" is a funny little
logo that resembles the "Goldfish" snackfood!
Could it be... Could it be...? The 115th Observation Squadron (part of
the 40th Inf. Div)
was stationed in Paso Robles (near me) during
pre and early WWII. Along with 0-47 and 0-49
observation aircraft they had..... BALLOONS!
Could Mr. Goldfish be a BALLOON? A fit!
Finally, A fit! Was my poor old (once very expensive, loaded with
options) panel an Observation Squadron Balloon support vehicle
of some sort? Does this raise my stock in trade?
If I can run down a photo of this vehicle somehow in the vicinity of
Observation Craft
I think I will have in my possession one unusual
military vehicle!
Go Ahead, BURST my BALLOON!
Thanks, Don (Chad) Kenyon