Re: [MV] Ferrets

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 00:44:10 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Wallace" <iwallace@uswest.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 4:58 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Ferrets

> One reason the Ferret is so popular and available in such numbers might be
> the facts that they are small enough to fit in any garage, are fully
street
> legal as they are imported, and are sort of "cute" (to quote Linda). That
> makes them an attractive option to getting a Challenger or halftrack -
it's
> far easier to talk the "little woman" into a "little green thing".

Ah, Ian beat me to it. Researches show "cute" to be the one word answer.

I think none of us have a chance of a Challenger II, whilst still in
service, production and highly classified, they will doubtless get sold off
to other nations for extended service and then likely cut up as part of some
arms limitation deal or the EU end-of-life directive.

Cute and readily garageable a Challenger is not, but desirable and well cool
it certainly is. Likely the only one ultimately saved here will be in
Bovington and perhaps Mr Littlefield will be able to secure one for the US.

The Ferret ignition switch - A puzzle since none of these vehicles was ever
originally fitted with an ignition key, a far too dangerous thing for a
squaddie to loose.

Richard
Southampton - England