Tamiya

From: GIjeepsWW2@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 01:46:24 PST

In a message dated 11/20/00 7:48:58 AM Central Standard Time,
Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM writes:

<< A thought occurred to me while reading this last post...

 I used to build quite a few Tamiya models and had found them to be of very
 high quality and my impression was that they were very correct and accurate.

 I would assume that the engineers at Tamiya used more than a photo to create
 the mold for the plastic parts.

 I have never had the need to do heavy duty research but I always wondered if
 Tamiya was contacted, would they share some of their research if it was to
 be applied to the real thing and not a competitive model kit?

 Has anyone ever tried this? >>

    They seem like good people to me. I talked to a couple of their reps at
an IPMS show about five years ago. My reenactment group was set up along with
my 44 GPW (which drew tons of attention as you may well expect). Anyway,
during the course of our conversations I suggested to them that they should
provide decals of blue-drab registration numbers as part of the decal sheets
for their US WWII Vehicles. The head fella there had never heard of such a
thing as a blue-drab reg. number but seemed very interested in the info and
promised he would look into it personally. About a year or two later some of
the Tamiya US vehicle kits started coming out with a set of blue-drab numbers
included on the decal sheet.
 My suggestions of rank and organization decals for 1/35 scale soldiers and
"do your own bumper marking" decal sheets seem to have met with less success.