Re: M274 Mule

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 19:51:05 PST

Jim, Gavin and list.
                            Although the mule was designed as a platform for
the 106mm RR. It was, as you mentioned, used as a platform for other weapons
as well. I know of a few limited applications where it mounted a minigun
(special ops.). There is probably many other things it was used as a
platform for that it wasn't intended for that we don't have direct knowledge
of.
       I have a limited knowledge of how the Marines used the mule, but have
heard that a infantry company would have 30 mules with 8 mounting the 106mm
RR. The rest of course to carry supplies, ammo.,litters, etc. The Army used
the mule for lots of field duties. Artillery units used them at firebases to
move ammo. from bunkers to guns. Engineer and signal units used them to lay
wire. Aviation units used them to move rockets and ammo. at forward refuel
and rearm points. And they were use as RR and TOW platforms.
          Gavin you ask if they were used at airbases. I've never heard
they were used by anyone other than the Army and USMC. That's not to say
that the USAF didn't have any, but I've never heard of it. As you all know
ANY of this stuff can turn up in the most unlikely places.