Re: [MV] NOS Jeep Shovel

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 08:41:35 PST

G740@aol.com wrote:
> Not only don't they have the right bend, they are no longer making the short
> handle type shovels. Now the handles are about 4" longer than the correct
> originals.

I dug in a bit deeper (always too quick on the "send" button, I am!):
My HMMWV's operator's manual says that its shovel (NSN
5120-00-293-3336, p/n 11655784) should be 40.5" long. The shovel I
bought at Home Depot measures 40.5" long, which is pretty close. I
checked in my MUTT operator's manual (unfortunately, I don't have a
MUTT to go with the manual, yet!), and its shovel has the same NSN.
Thus, my Home Depot shovel is very close to the right size for either
a HMMWV or a MUTT. These details bring me to the following conclusion:

My Home Depot carries different stuff than yours.

I still hope you'll comment on any specific differences between your
NOS shovels and the one pictured here:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/mvc-564x.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/mvc-565x.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/mvc-566x.jpg