Re: Air volume...a new approach

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 08:13:42 PST

Brian Leffler <leffield@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mark and List,

I didn't see this on the list traffic, but I'm assuming you meant to
send it there (and maybe the list copy just lagged behind my private
copy?)

> I used an old fire dept. trick on my duece yesterday
> and it worked like a charm.
>
> Under the dash on M211/135's there are aux. air lines
> with valves and threaded ports. I aquired the quick
> connect parts to fit this port and then made up a
> double ended male fitting that allows me to hook my
> garage air compressor directly to the trucks air
> system to pre-charge it. It worked like a charm.

I tried a similar trick once when I was doing some work on my M109A3
shop van's wiper motors. I already had attached a quick-disconnect to
a glad hand, so that I could connect any of my air hoses or tools to
my truck's emergency brake supply. I then made a male-male quick
disconnect adapter so I could temporarily keep the air tanks charged
from a shop compressor without running the engine while I worked on
the wiper motors. When I drained the tanks later, I was surprised to
find that only one of the tanks had pressure in it. I guess there must
be a one-way valve between the first and second tank. I don't know if
the air valve under the dash is plumbed in differently, or if the
M211/135s are plumbed differently than my M44A2-series truck, but I
would suggest that you verify that your trick charges both tanks
before relying on it. If it doesn't, it probably wouldn't be too hard
to add another quick-disconnect fitting on the primary side. I'd
recommend putting a valve behind it, rather than relying on the spring
valve in the fitting, though (maybe that's just my paranoia talking).

> Does anyone have any info on the inverters that were
> used on the shop van trucks?

I haven't heard of those. I thought the shop vans always got their
power from an external AC source. If anybody knows otherwise, please
share the info!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/