Re: [MV] cckw-353

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 16:30:57 PST

The sn in on the passengers side (US) just behind the shock absorber as I
recall. Scrape and you shall find....

Motors Manual lists the hp and torque from 46-54 as 232 ft/lbs and 130 hp
with a 7.50 comp ratio. Some time after ww2 they made some radical changes
to that engine. They went from 'turbo-top' pistons to flat ones amonst other
things. They made the 270 from 1942 through 1962 in different flavor. The
hot setup is a civy 302 which will bolt in (possibly minus the front motor
mount foot depending upon the year) or a very rare chevy 261 (~54-62) which
is actually a little shorter and sports a full-flow oil filter.

GMC stood for General Motors Corporation. Your cckw was made by Yellow Truck
and Bus.
General Motors was the sales arm for Yellow. In 1943, GMC took over Yellow
which it had had a controlling interest in since 1925

There are many companies that sell parts for these engines, other than HMV
dealers.

Jim Carter in MO (USA)
Patrick's http://www.classicar.com/vendors/patricks/convert.htm has his
address