Re: [MV] 1/2-Ton History Mystery!

From: Chris (cdavis@mail.johnsonmfg.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 13:47:45 PST

Hi Brandon,

I got my sheet too. They do present a bit of a translation challenge don't
they? Let see:

On my sheet, If you consider the notes are made in columns, the first
column (just ahead of the Serial Number) looks like a combination of three
entries. I'm thinking they are: Initial of the guy making the entry, a
check mark, and a date. Looking down the column I find initials of MJ, MS,
SJ(?), DC, RC, and JR. All appear to be different writing styles, which
makes me think initial over a disposition short hand.

Some have check marks, some don't... Going on the theory that they are
initials, RC always uses check marks, so does MS (except on your sheet
under 262141, his initials appear there without a check mark). Others on my
sheet don't use a check mark at all. The dates all appear to be post war or
late in the war, 4/45 to 12/46. There are newer, additional dates on three
or four entries, 9/30/50 latest on mine, no order to the dates, (yours has
a 1/24/45 at the very top, but I don't think that’s tied to a specific
entry)... I don't know what to make of them for sure... I'd guess disposal
dates.

The serial numbers are sequential. My page lists 232529 to 232539. Yours
are higher numbers, 262133 to 262143).

Looking back over the dates, they seem to match up with initials. Your
entries are all 5/1 or 5/11/45, and all by RC. My sheet only has two
entries by RC, made 5/22/45 and 8/7/45. MJ makes three entries, all on
7/9/46, MS two entries on 12/23/46.

The weight, model, and make are easy enough, my sheet has 4 carryalls, 3
International 2.5 ton 6x6 dump trucks, then 3 more carryalls. One of the
carryall descriptions also notes the manufacture year - 1942. Yours looks
like a Sheet-O’ ½ ton WC’s. My sheet also lists what I think is a contract
number with Dodge “BS-77055-H-839 - Nlod-166”, next entry same but “H-771 -
Dura 76” Last entry on the sheet goes back to “BS-77055-H-839 - Nlod-166”

I uncovered the following on the side of my Carryall: “SO 77055” so that
matches.

Now, the last column is more consistent on your sheet than mine. Looks like
where the vehicle was assigned, crossed out once it was sold. The first
five entries on my sheet don't give even that much.

“-Vlod-166”
“-Dura 76”
“Sold”
“Sold”
“Vlod 93”

Then the entries are more like those on your sheet.

Looking at the entry for my Carryall you've got:

“NSD Terminal Is.”
“San Pedro, Cal”
Crossed out, then
“NAS Whidbey Is. WA”

The side of my truck says:

FROM N.S.D.
CLEARFIELD (can't make out state)
CONTRACT NOY-(can't make out last digits)
YD B 198G (maybe last digit is “6”)
USN ADVANCE BASE DEPOT
PORT HUENEME CALF.
SO 77055
INV 2587

So, I'd expect to see Port Hueneme on the log book, but must have gone on
to Terminal Island right away. Later to be transferred up to Washington
state (where I found it.) Interesting.

I'll scan and post my sheet too so you can take a look.

Thanks,

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA