Re: [MV] Do you play with it?

From: Damon Gentile (damonfg@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 07:17:43 PST

Hell yeah I play with it :) ...M54 5-ton that I've
owned for almost a year.

Wildest thing getting it on a blind bid, learned
how to drive it with a trailer behind it on the
very narrow streets on the island that makes up
the local Shipyard.

Drove it to work a few times (no plates) and the
first time I was called into human resources and
I was asked if I was in a militia. ...Of course
I just stood up and walked out.

New job at a place that does handle a large amount
of mil work, and ended up driving the 5-ton
every day for about 2 weeks (my jeep was near dead)
and nobody raised an eyebrow at the time. Although
every once in a while I do get have someone stop by
and ask if that was my 'big truck' out there.

I love it every time I get waved through a tollbooth.

Funniest story I have relating to it goes something
like this... Best friend and his GF split up, he
moves out one weekend. He realizes that he left
something very important behind- his 80 gallon
clam steamer, that looks like an oversize steel
drum - this one is *bright* stainless, too. So
he asks to borrow my jeep to go get the steamer.
I say ok but I show up with the 5-ton. He enjoys
the ride and the whine of the turbo really is a
destresser. So... we get to their old house, I
ran the deuce right up to the shed, buddy and I
hop out, open the shed, and place this HUGE
stainless drum on the bed of the 5-ton. We
tied it down, dead center in the bed and drove
away. Soon after we had a police cruiser turn on
behind us, then fall back a ways. No more than 10
minutes later, another cruiser follows in, both
about 1/4 mile back. They were nice enough to
follow us through the county. I don't know
exactly what they wanted or what they were thinking!!

Still laugh about it. And I didn't even mention
how PISSED she was when there was a 5 ton in
her yard!

-d (life is good)